Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Where the Magic Happens

This is the third in my series, inspired by Brian Gardner's No Sidebar post, "50 Simple Things You Need to Hear."


Well, YES.

Maybe that's why I can't pass the stationery aisle without perusing the blank books. I'm trying not to purchase any more, and am slowly using the ones I have. But, oh my goodness, just to look at, and run my hand down, the beautiful, pristine paper. 

All those blank books are waiting for people to write their stories. 

Alice Williams's tale, The Blank Book, began with that premise. What if you wrote a story (ostensibly about a fictional character, but really a thinly disguised version of yourself) and that story began to come true? It was a wild ride for Alice, and for the unsuspecting Robert Diamond, but finally, after the mystery was solved--whew--they had a happy ending. 

White space also, to me, means the exhilaration of opening a fresh, empty word processing document when I'm ready to start working on a new story. 

The possibilities seem endless. I hope to eventually finish all the stories I've begun, as well as the ones that are still nebulous ideas floating in my head, or scribbled onto scraps of paper.

White Space All Around

Five years ago, we were nearing completion of the renovation project my landlords undertook, to create the studio apartment where I now live. My color choices became a running joke between us. As in, if there was paint to be applied, I wanted white. The plain, un-adulterated, cheapest white in the store was, and is, perfect.

Even now, approaching my fifth anniversary in this space, when I climb the stairs and walk into my apartment, a feeling of peace immediately washes over me. 

It's like stepping into a cloud.

I try to keep the space uncluttered--a task that requires daily effort--so the peaceful feeling is maintained. With soft jazz playing, and a cup of coffee nearby, there's no better place to let creativity take over.

White Space on the Calendar

This is a tough one. My time management isn't perfect. I try to write, walk, meditate, see people, eat healthy, and do at least one home care task each day. Sometimes I work ten or twelve hours a day, or more. Having a calendar that isn't full of go here, do this makes my flexible schedule possible, and gives me at least a chance at having a good night's sleep.

White Space for my Online Guests

I recently updated the look of the blog, to make it easier on your eyes, and to keep the focus on whatever article you are here to read. Over time, the look of the page has evolved. I shake my head now, remembering that for a short while, I had two (not just one, but two) sidebars, to showcase my books, and... You know, I can't even recall all the stuff that was in those sidebars. What a nightmare. I love this streamlined look, and hope you do, too. 

I hope the simple, peaceful look gives your eyes and mind a moment's rest.

That's what I have on today's topic. If you have ideas to share, please leave them in the comments.

If you want to read the previous articles in this series, they're here:


I hope you're enjoying these peeks into my minimalist journey. If you want to learn more about my novels, just click on the Serendipity tab or the Legend tab. I'm happy to report that this year's increasingly ambitious writing goals seem possible. WOOT. 

Magdalena

No comments:

Post a Comment