Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Day One

Well, to be brutally honest, this isn't Day One. But it looked good as a title.

Like it says at the top of the page--way up there--we have a journey ahead of us. We may need this nifty compass.



I resigned from my office job a couple of weeks ago. I've resigned from a lot of jobs in my life. All of them, in fact. I have worked with a lot of good people, and in some lovely offices--especially the last one, which was beautifully decorated. But lovely decor and really fun co-workers couldn't fix what was wrong.

What was wrong, of course, was inside me. My heart was not in that job. Over my years I've worked to make a little money--never a lot--and because I was expected to go to a job "like everybody else."

Turns out, I guess, that's not me. I don't have to go to a job, because what I am is not a church secretary or legal assistant or customer service rep.

What I am is a writer. Bane or blessing? We'll see.

Because this time, at the age of, well, fortysomething, I'm going for it. I've given myself permission to work a writing career full-time.

Shortly before I resigned, this advice came up on my Zen page-a-day calendar. Now, most of the deep philosophical stuff on the pages of that calendar were a hard slog for me. But on September 15 I "received this" from my Zen-A-Day:


"Do, or do not. There is no try."


Know who said that? Yoda. He's about my height, and has big ears. I relate to him.

So here I am, setting out on this journey, hoping Yoda is floating along somewhere ready to yell at me if I start to mess up.

I'd like to hear from other writers. I'd like to hear from other women who are reinventing themselves. No reason to take this journey entirely alone.


Magdalena

6 comments:

  1. Hey Magdalena!

    Love your Day One! I'm going to hop over to my blogspot and add this to my list and I'll drop by often.

    I'm also reinventing- I've worked a lot of jobs, but it wasn't until I moved here and became a stay at home mom that I realized something was still missing. It took me 5 years to figure it out- but it was the writing- the desire I always had in my heart to write. So I'm right here with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taryn!

    You're here! Welcome to Magdalenaville.

    Hey, if you know others who'd like to talk reinvention, ask them to stop by as well.

    Now, going into Blogger to add your url.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magdalena!

    Well, bravo to you for seeing the Zen calaender message for what it was, a sign. And extra bravo for following your dreams, we might only live once, after all (notice I said "might"? :)). There is no better time to reinvent oneself than right now, because right now is really all we have.

    Good luck with your writing, I hope your productivity skyrockets.
    :)
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee, I totally agree. Now is all we have. Even one minute from now is not promised to us.

    All the more reason I need to go for it! Thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Following your dreams is one of the greatest gifts you can give your self. I beleive your heart knows your dream job when you are born and you just have to discover it. I have been so blessed to have known mine and been able to do it. It fills the journey with happiness. Jonell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Jonell!

    Yes, the people who recognize early on what they are "meant" to do are very fortunate. Still, there is the work to prepare for it--higher education, continuing ed--so it's still not "easy," huh?

    It is a treat to see you in your element. That you still call it your "dream job" is wonderful!

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete