Sunday, November 9, 2008

Do you believe this?

“Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground.” --Judith Thurman, The Hand of Distance

I have this quote framed. Right now it's on the mantel in my sitting room. Although, having read it many times over the years, I know what it says, sometimes I have to read it again, to see if it is still meaningful to me. Almost without fail, it makes me want to cry.

I've shown it to some people with whom it immediately resonated. I have shown it to one or two who read it and looked at me blankly.

I think that, all my life, I've been homesick...

Magdalena

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I agree, Magdalena. It is an interesting quote and yes, it does resonate. Kind of also makes me think of Jan's discussion of reincarnation.

    Immediately, I thought of some dreams I've had. I've had this dream often throughout the years, since I was a child. I'm in a house, and the house is very familiar. Sometimes in my dream it looks different but it's the same. I know, weird. But the house, whatever it looks like, always feels like I belong there...like home. Yet, it looks nothing like the home I live in or the one I grew up in. It is more a sense of home than the reality. Does that make sense?

    Anyway, that's what I thought of when I read your quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, Maddie!

    Yes, Jan's discussion of reincarnation would make sense with this.

    About your series of dreams--I can't help wondering if someday you will step into a house--or a situation of some sort--and just know, THIS IS IT. This has been home all along!

    Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete