Sunday, November 16, 2008

Make new friends, but keep the old...

Remember this old song? Make new friends, but keep the old. Some are silver, and the others are gold...

These girls and I have been friends for a long time--Jenny since kindergarten, Connie, first grade, Beverly, third grade, and Jeannean, junior high. Since our high school graduation pictured here, everyone but me has moved out of our hometown. They are anywhere from four to twelve hours away from here now.

Sometimes it's lonely being the only one left. But sometimes it's a blessing, too.

Like yesterday, when I went to the funeral home to be with Jenny, whose aunt had died. Last night I delivered hugs from the girls who weren't present to deliver them in person.

Beverly and I both lost our dads in the past year. There are changes in all our families--additions, losses, graduations... We do what we can to support each other through it all.

I don't make new friends easily. But you know what? When I make one, it's for good. Lucky me.


Magdalena

4 comments:

  1. Touching post, Magdalena. I envy you and your friends. I've lost touch with most of mine...except recently, I hooked up with two from first grade on facebook. Go figure!

    maddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie, I think it's wonderful that you found your friends on Facebook!

    Very, very cool!

    Just another reason the internet is not a time suck...entirely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post Magdalena. Friendships are one of the best blessings in the world. This year I recently got back in touch with my best friend from back in my hometown. We had lost touch after I moved away seven years ago and it means a lot to know that even time and distance between us didn't destroy the foundation we built 20 some odd years ago when we were on the verge of adolescence.

    We'd missed each other and I can't speak for her, but having her back in my life, albeit it is mostly via emails, has filled an emptiness I'd felt since I moved away from my hometown.

    Thanks for sharing about your friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taryn,

    I'm so glad you and your friend have found each other again after seven years! I guess when you've survived adolescence together, there's a special bond, huh? I hope my son will have friendships like ours, that span the decades.

    ...But we won't get into exactly HOW MANY decades my friends and I have spanned. Ouch.

    :) Magdalena

    ReplyDelete