Monday, December 15, 2008

It's still Christmas


This Christmas money is tight. Did I buy gifts? Yes. Piles of gifts? No. Is this unusual for me? Absolutely not.

Although it's fun to see someone open a gift that I carefully chose and that they truly enjoy, that is far from my favorite part of Christmas, and certainly not the focus of our family's celebration.

I think what says "Christmas" most to me is the music. I put up trees and threw some festive touches around the house one Saturday afternoon with help from the sound track of "A Charlie Brown Christmas." Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, and friends also helped, as did Mannheim Steamroller.

And the live music! The Madrigal Dinner and concert early this month. The Living Christmas Tree cantata last night. The music every Sunday morning at church, and the darling little children's choir this coming Sunday, dressed as Mary, Joseph, shepherds, angels, and kings, nervously singing "Silent Night" so quietly it almost is silent.

When the rotten economy threatens to get me down, I try to be a little more like the Who's down in Whoville, from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." When the Grinch stole the decorations and gifts, it didn't stop Christmas from coming. Remember? "It came, just the same."

And everyone was singing.


Magdalena

No comments:

Post a Comment