Saturday, December 13, 2008

Simple Abundance

Ah, here's a road map toward reinvention. Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy, by Sarah Ban Breathnach. I was thinking about this book last night, so I set it out to start re-reading this morning.

My print copy is from 2004, and I've been through it several times. I also have it on my wish list at Fictionwise, and may eventually download the electronic version. Lots of lessons to learn in this book, but you do it in small doses. It is best read beginning January 1, though you can fudge if necessary. I definitely recommend it, especially if you find this quote meaningful:

"Often people attempt to live their lives backwards: they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want so that they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, and then, do what you need to do, in order to have what you want." -Margaret Young

That is the quote that begins the foreword. Sound like a road map toward reinvention? It does to me.

In the book I found a folded piece of paper I had used as a bookmark. Judging from the font I would say it was given to me by a very close friend who has talked reinvention with me over the years. I don't know the genesis of these words--looks like a collection of short quotations--but here is what's on the paper:

*Courage is not the absence of fear, rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

*The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.

*When traveling the road between who you are and who you think you can be--the key is allowing yourself to make the journey!


Magdalena

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    You have an extremely great blog. To grow to be a successful individual the simple thing is always to have positive thinking. Take pleasure in Sky Rocketing Achievement with Turbo charged Positive Affirmations... Produce Positive Thinking So You are able to Remove Stress From the Life, Enhance Your Self-Confidence and Plan Oneself For Lifetime Achievement!

    ReplyDelete