Monday, December 1, 2008

There was never a question

There was never a question as to whether I would buy this book--Suzanne McMinn's newest, Protected in His Arms. It just became available today at Fictionwise, but I pre-ordered this past weekend. In fact, I've been waiting for it since July. It's also available in brick-and-mortar stores, of course, since it is a Silhouette Romantic Suspense title.

It probably doesn't surprise any of you who enjoy series, or who know Suzanne's books, that I determined long ago to purchase this. Protected in His Arms is the third in the Haven series. I read the first one on my laptop a couple of years ago, and loved it. The second one, A Hero's Redemption,I read on my ipaq this past July, sitting next to a hospital bed.

I'm not telling you that so you'll feel sorry for me. I certainly don't deserve it. The reason I tell you that I read the book in that situation is to try to express what it did for me. There wasn't much I could physically do there in that hospital room. I mostly just sat in a chair. Sometimes I cried. Occasionally a thoughtful friend or family member would come to sit with us, or call on my cell phone. But there were a lot of hours that week of just feeling very sad and helpless.

One day when I ran home to shower and change clothes, I also loaded up the ipaq with books I hadn't yet read. Suzanne McMinn's A Hero's Redemption took me vicariously out of the Southern Indiana hospital room in mid-July, and transported me to December on a Christmas tree farm in West Virginia, where a lot of scary, strange, and exciting things happened to the hero and heroine. And of course there was a happily ever after, because it's a romance and that is a given.

I'm not a fast reader, so the book lasted me a whole day. What a wonderful gift.

Did the book change our situation? No. Did it change the week's outcome? No.

Romance novels aren't magic. They don't provide a knight riding a big ol' white horse into your real life and swooping you up into his arms, yadda yadda... But hey, for a little escape, I definitely recommend a romance novel. Real life quite often stinks--big time. I certainly don't suggest that anyone constantly hide out from reality, but I do know that losing one's self in a book for a little while can make it easier to deal with whatever you're up against. And with romance novels, you always, always get a happy ending. These are some reasons I read romance.

This is also why I write romance. Because I want to make a difference in readers' lives, take them away from whatever boredom or unhappiness they're dealing with. I want to give readers a happily ever after, and I want them to close my books at THE END with a sigh and a smile--and look forward to the next title.

I'm no one special. Never have been. But I think this genre is special. I know it is. In fact, maybe I was wrong earlier. Maybe romance novels are magic.

Magdalena

4 comments:

  1. I am positive that Romance novels have a bit of magic in them. As adults, we have lost the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and Santa. More than likely,we have also experienced a divorce, death of a loved one or job loss. It is often difficult to see the magic that really does exists in the world. A good romance takes you away and when you return, that bliss of the fictional happily ever after enables you to believe that it can really happen to you! The magic comes from the renewal of hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magdalena, this is a wonderful post. Thanks so much for sharing. You put it all right into perspective.

    maddie

    ReplyDelete