Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Keeping it Simple

You know I'm reading Simple Abundance every day, and that I've read it before. Another favorite book is Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things that Really Matter, by Elaine St. James. This book contains one hundred brief chapters, under the following sections:

1. Your Household;
2. Your Life-Style;
3. Your Finances;
4. Your Job;
5. Your Health;
6. Your Personal Life;
7. Special Issues for Women; and
8. Hard-Core Simplicity.

This is another book I've read more than once. I follow many of the suggestions, and have for years. It helps me to re-read, though, to see if more can be implemented now than in the past. It's always good to know that, although the path to simplicity/authenticity looks difficult, others have gone there before us. There is a trail, if we look hard enough.

Yesterday I filled four more big plastic bags for Goodwill. It helps me to concentrate on what is important when I pare down the extranea.


Magdalena

5 comments:

  1. I guess this is a weird day to have to do it, since I've blogged about keeping it simple, but I had to complicate the comment process this morning. Some computer or robot or whatever had posted a couple of comments. (I've deleted them.) I don't want to have to moderate comments, so I've added a word verification instead. I hope this will end the spamming. Sorry. It's frustrating to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're knocking a dent in it!

    Definitely something I need to do around this house too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taryn, I'm either putting a dent in it, or wasting my time. I do hope it's the former. Feels that way, at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magdalena, this is a nice reminder for me to pull out that book, as I am in the zone of trying to simplify my life as well. Thanks. As soon as I get home, I'm gonna shuffle through my bookshelf....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maddie,

    Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you also have this book!

    In my decluttering, I have glanced at my books, wondering if I should do some culling. Ouch. That's a tough one, and I'll likely put it off a while.

    Let me know how your simplifying goes.

    ReplyDelete