Friday, February 6, 2009

Lessons...learned?

Today is the birthday of a writer, reader, artist, musician--my dad. He died last July, or else he'd be celebrating his 96th today. I think he'd like the convertible I chose for this post.

I know I won't list all of them, but I want to tell you some things I learned from him. (Listed in no particular order.)

1. Drive a cool car.

2. Family is VERY important.

3. Exercise every day.

4. Eat healthfully, and take your vitamins.

5. Always use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

6. Remember the past, but don't live there.

7. Enjoy every day as if it's a gift. It is.

8. Don't get the big head.

9. Conserve water.

10. Look neat and tidy when you greet the world.

11. Always be pleasant to people, no matter how they treat you.

12. Work hard.

13. Travel.

14. Encourage people, but don't give them the big head, either.

15. Possessions are okay, but they're just things. Don't get too attached.

16. Live a simple, honest life.

17. Listen to good music. If it's live, request your favorite song.

18. Be informed.

19. Dance.

20. Live within your means.

21. Read. A lot.

22. Use good posture.

23. Smile.

24. Sing.

25. Enjoy your birthday.


Magdalena

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to your dad and it sounds like you learned a lot from him! ;) I bet he'd be proud as a peacock to know what you're doing with your life.

    (the "use good posture" caught me slouching- I instantly sat up a little straighter <- is that even a word? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely remembrance of your dad. Mine's been gone a little more than 16 years and I still miss him a lot. He would have been so amazed at world events that have taken place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taryn, It was thanks to my dad that I did my first-ever reading--last year at the nursing home he was in. Yes, he was proud.

    I remember one evening I visited, and he chuckled and read aloud the button I keep on my purse: YES, I WRITE ROMANCE. NO, YOU CAN'T HELP ME RESEARCH.

    Devon, Sixteen years is a long time, but sometimes I imagine it seems like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might've mentioned that reading before but I can't recall- my thoughts are scattered today, but that's great that he got to see you in action.

    I love the button saying. Where did you find one like that?

    I've looked for stuff like that online before but had no luck turning up anything to suit my taste. I'd love to find a charm bracelet with writing charms (pen or quill, books, computer or laptop, coffee or tea cup, chocolate bar, hearts, etc.)LOL

    I bet someone could market charms like those to writers and it'd be a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taryn,

    I bought the button in Dallas at the 2007 RWA conference. Unfortunately I don't recall who was selling them.

    I've seen bracelets made of old manual typewriter keys. Those are cute. But they aren't charm bracelets.

    I have seen charms like you're talking about, in jewelry stores and in department store jewelry counters. You might try someplace like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really nice tribute to your dad. 95 years is a good age. I hope my dad lives that long, because I know I, and my kids, have a lot more to learn from him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jennifer. I hope so, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lesson I learned from your father was to listen to people-really listen as if every word they were saying was gold-even if they were only 4 or 5.
    Everyone wants to feel heard. Your Dad did a good job of hearing them.
    That and he had a great smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice post, Magdalena. I missed this earlier in the week. I'm sure your father is very proud of you.

    maddie

    ReplyDelete