Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Danny Party

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Yep, I'm Irish--partly, at least--along with English, Scottish, French, German, and Swiss. (Hm...I don't think I left anyone out.)

I love green, and wish I lived close enough to an Irish pub to just hang out there today. But I'll make do with wearing a green sweater, and remembering the Danny Party.

I threw the Danny Party on March 17, 2002, when my cousin Dan was visiting from Texas, where he has lived for about thirty years. He was in the area for some training, and I thought it would be neat if the whole family had an opportunity to see him, which doesn't happen often.

So I did some serious cleaning, and invited the aunts, uncles, and cousins. I'd love to show you pictures, but don't want to embarrass anyone. So I'll tell you: I have a picture of my son and the cousin nearest his age, using a block and tackle to hoist a golf bag into the old tree house, just to see if they could. (Golf has become a family reunion tradition. Hoisting the bag into the tree house was a new twist.)

I have a picture of each set of aunt/uncle who were able to attend, and one of my dad and his girlfriend.

Have I ever mentioned that there are fifteen cousins in my generation? Ten boys, five girls. The big group photo is of me and the cousins who got here. None of the girl cousins made it (!), so I'm in the front row, dwarfed by the boy cousins. Some of them had made a two-hour drive to see Dan.

We had a wonderful time at the Danny Party. Coincidentally, March 17 is our grandfather's birthdate. I think he would have been 112 that day. How he would have loved seeing us all together. How Grandma would have fussed to make sure everyone was in a picture. I took care of it, Grandma.

I imagine St. Patrick's Day will always make me think of the Danny Party...with a smile.

Magdalena

6 comments:

  1. Magdalena, thank goodness for memories and pictures. Thank you for sharing your memory of a wonderful day with your family.

    Before I go, mm.. about those cousins... My mom had 15 siblings (two of them were half brother and sister). So my grandmother only gave birth to 14) and I'm not even going to tell you how many first cousins I have. Needless to say, we've never all been in the same place at the same time, not even when my grandmother passed. Some of them I've never seen in my life. At least you know all of yours. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a jillion first cousins, too, and I've always been very close to the girls.

    Two of my daughters have St.Patrick's Day anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Devon. I can't imagine. What a BIG family!

    Cheryl, happy anniversary to your daughters. ;)

    Yep, cousins are great! And thank goodness for the girl cousins. Who knows--I might've become a tomboy if the second crop of girls hadn't come along when I was little. (The first crop of girls were teenagers when I was born.)

    Oh--I forgot a nationality in my earlier list. Italian. Now I think that's everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It gets hard to keep track of everybody doesn't it? I know I have upwards of 25 first cousins, between my mom's 4 siblings and my dad's three. A good portion of them are in Colorado, and I haven't seen them since I was a little girl. Have lots of pictures and video though. Hang onto those pics.
    As for blood, I have Pollock and West Virginian mixed in with English, Irish, French and Cherokee. How 'bout that mix?
    No Pollock jokes please, I've heard them all.
    And I'm especially close to one cousin, because she is dating my half-brother. I know, sounds weird, but they are no blood relation to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, you've got all kinds of interesting stuff goin' on there. What fun!

    Wouldn't it be neat to get that big group together some day? Everyone could come to your house, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea, I don't think so. If you knew my family, you'd understand why.

    ReplyDelete