Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Reservations

This is basically what I look like in the morning, except my hair is darker, and unfortunately my coffee mug is smaller. I guess I could photoshop it a little, for better accuracy. Remind me to do that sometime, but this week is kinda busy.

Part of my busyness yesterday was making hotel reservations. This Friday I'm staying in Lexington, KY, because there's a booksigning that night, and the workshops are all day Saturday. So I called the Hyatt and made my reservation.

While I was on a roll, I called the Greenbo Lake State Resort Park and reserved a room for the Dogwood Writing Conference weekend, April 24 and 25. I'll post more info about that soon. I've heard it is a great little conference.

So, yeah, I've been thinking about hotel stuff, and decided to go ahead and give you an amazing link. While watching the DVD The Body in the Library (an Agatha Christie "Miss Marple" story), we stumbled upon the fact that there is a hotel in England called The Grand Hotel Eastbourne. It was used (under another name) as scenery in the movie. If you go to this page and watch the video, you'll see why the hotel caught my eye.

Will someone out there in Blogland please schedule a writer's conference at The Grand Hotel Eastbourne? And invite me? And, like, pay my way? Pretty please.

I'm sure I'd fit right in (see my picture above).

Magdalena

9 comments:

  1. I need to give you a warning about Eastbourne. It's very, very elderly. There's not a great deal going on and the beach is made up of large stones. Not really somewhere you could lounge and relax.

    May I suggest Bournemouth along that same coast or even the very beautiful Lyme Regis, inspiration behind Jane Austen's Persuasion and you can actually climb the steps that Louise Musgrove fell down.

    If Jane Austen's been there, it has to be THE place for a writers' conference.

    Laura Essendine
    The Accidental Guru Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Nice blog, and interesting comment by Laura. Remind me, Mag, to show you my morning picture....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well! Thank you so much, Laura, for the inside info. Is it just the hotel that's elderly, or also the people who stay there? (Not so far from elderly myself...)

    And definitely, you may suggest Bournemouth and Lyme Regis. Absolutely--suggest away. I'm tickled that someone who's actually been there is here to share insight!

    Jennifer, I look forward to seeing your morning picture. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the population that's very elderly - the town itself is a lovely seaside place. But not really a family holiday destination. Apologies to the Eastbourne tourist Board

    If you've read Persuasion you'll know the characters go for a walk along the harbour wall called The Cobb which is exactly as Jane Austen described it. It also features in the film, The French Lieutenant's Woman with Meryl Streep or there are lots of photos online.

    The Accidental Guru Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness! Well, it certainly is grand and very white. And I don't blame you for wanting to go there. Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love grand old hotels! Thanks for sharing the video!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks, Laura, for all your wonderful observations.

    Devon, I'll miss you this weekend.

    Lee, thank you for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the video, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a gorgeous place. Looks a bit stuffy for me though. You go ahead, Magdalena.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well...if you're sure, Jennifer...

    ReplyDelete