Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Closing the door

I still need to type my notes from Tara Taylor Quinn's presentation at the conference this weekend. I've promised to email them to Jennifer Madden, whose notes were deleted.

What I keep thinking about was when someone asked Tara about her writing day. She said she leaves the house when her husband leaves, drives somewhere and buys a Diet Coke "on the way to work," then goes back to her house and into her office. Although it is attached to their home, her office has an outside entry. She works all day (I think she takes a lunch hour), then leaves work when her husband comes home. Unless she's behind on a deadline, she keeps to this schedule. Seems to work rather well for her too. She has four books published a year.

Now, this isn't the kind of substantive stuff a normal person's notes will contain. But of course, I'm not normal. I always enjoy hearing little tidbits like this, mulling them over, and deciding what to do with them.

Don't look for me to switch from coffee and tea to Diet Coke any time soon, but I may get better at closing the door while I write.

Magdalena


P.S.

I'm also at my publisher's blog today.

It's Girls' Night Out--Country Style again tonight. I'll be there unless something major comes up.

9 comments:

  1. My office has a door with a lock, but I never close it, much less lock it. If I did, it wouldn't be five minutes until someone would be beating on it, wanting to know what I'm doing in here.

    My worst enemy is the telephone. Every day when I come in here to write, I swear I'm not going to answer it, no matter whose name is on the caller ID. But I always do, because I'd feel guilty if I didn't. The only solution I can see is to unplug the darned thing. It never fails. The moment I sit in my chair and open up a document, the phone rings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the dreaded telephone! I'm reasonably good (not great) at ignoring it during working hours, and letting the answering machine do its thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, to have an office! I remember watching Next Door with Katie Brown years ago. This was a decorating show on Lifetime. She talked about making a little corner for yourself when having a separate "me" room wasn't an option. So, I have that corner. It will do for now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you making a corner, Jennifer! I wrote THE BLANK BOOK in a corner, with a clunky old computer that sat on a thing that wasn't a desk. Corners work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You girls are lucky. I don't even have a corner. I have a desk I share with hubby. It's not so bad when he's out of town, but when he's home we're always calling 'dibs'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies, having your own room is nice, but it's not the end-all. I wrote the entire Angel in the Rain ms. on a manual Underwood while sitting at the kitchen table. Since getting my own writing room (we converted the dining room) and becoming computerized, I'm not nearly as prolific as I used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had an office so badly!!
    I can't get away from my DH!
    I hand wrote my first book and then entered it into a computer. I had to write late at night when the animals were all sleeping! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm fortunate to have a real office. Of course, it's my house and I share it with no one (except Calliope Jane, and she shares nicely) so I can do whatever I want with mine. I'm in the process of overhauling...I know, been at that for months now...but love the fact that the space is all mine! (and tax deductable...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Jennifer and Mary--sharing a desk must be tough. I'm probably not nice enough to do that.

    Writing a whole book on a manual Underwood must have given you lots of muscles, Devon. Here I am, all spaciously set up, and you're right, I'm not as productive as I should be.

    Maddie, maybe you can teach Calliope Jane to help in the office. I bet she'd do it for kitty treats!

    ReplyDelete