Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Grandparent memory books

My son and I spent some time reading together the other night. One of the books was this one, and the other was Grandma's Journal, published by Venture Publishing of Kirkwood Missouri. Not sure you'll find that one anywhere, but the book pictured here is available at Amazon and possibly also at your local bookstore.

Each page of the books asks questions about the grandparent's life. There are many interesting "writing prompts" to help the grandchild learn what it was like in the good old days. And there's plenty of space for pictures to go along with each topic.

If you are a grandparent, I suggest you fill out one of these for each grandchild if you can.

Or if you have a school-age or younger child, maybe you could give this type of book to the child's grandparents. These are such treasures to my son, and I'm so grateful that my parents took the time, when my son was just a year old, to write in them. Even the handwriting is special--my mother's one-of-a-kind loopy scrawl, and my dad's perfect slanted script... Their humor and personalities shine through in their answers...

And all that love on every page!

Magdalena

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that's a wonderful idea. I have a mother's journal I've got about halfway filled. I didn't realize they had them for the grandparents, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on the mother's journal, Jennifer! Some day that will be a treasure for your children and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea, Mags. I have one brief note written by my grandmother, who passed away when I was 15. The note is yellowed and the folds have started to develop holes, but I cherish it because it's her handwriting and even though it's been many years, I can still hear her voice when I read the words.

    ReplyDelete