Thursday, July 2, 2009

It's time

Last week when I wasn't here blogging, one of the things I did was begin cleaning out my dad's house. He died nearly a year ago, and you may think it's pathetic of me, but I wasn't ready until now.

It's a little house, and my parents were not pack rats. They moved dozens of times in their sixty-plus years of marriage, so things had minimal importance. Still, there's a lot to do.

Earlier this week I got so angry with the writers of direct mail advertising. All this junk piled into my dad's mailbox every day, and he thought he needed to read every bit of it. So many conversations we had over the years, me saying "It's a scam," and him saying, "But maybe this one..."

Bless his heart.

Anyway, just thought I'd tell you I'm in process on that job, too. Last week was horribly hot, but this week the weather is nicer. I open windows while I work, and enjoy the breeze. It's not as sad going there now. Before, it was awful, but I think enough time has passed that I am ready to deal with it.

Magdalena

8 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you. I know how hard it is. I lost my dad years ago. Savor the memories and be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devon, thank you. I hope this post didn't come across as "Oh! Poor me!" I didn't mean for it to sound that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you didn't come across as "poor me" at all. You're going through something very emotional, and sometimes it helps to talk about how you're feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think going through things is the hardest part.
    So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Mary. So far I'm doing the easy stuff--papers that need to be recycled or shredded. I'll work up to the difficult items that require decision making.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much understand not being ready to clean out your dad's house. Dad has been gone 13 months, and it was only a few months ago that I was able to enter the house without feeling like I had a big empty aching hole in my chest. Grief can be very overwhelming.

    Teresa Pervine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jennifer. Bless your heart. I hope you're feeling better today!

    Addi's Grandma, Welcome to Magdalenaville! Thank you so much for stopping in, and I appreciate your comment. I know it's been a rough year for you.

    ReplyDelete