Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Maybe if I can push it up just one more hill...

Do ya think if I push it up another hill and jump in, it will start in neutral?

This car represents my laptop.

The little laptop (shall we call her "Della?") is having some problems, poor thing. Yesterday Della was "in the shop"--taken apart, analyzed, put back together again. She's running more quickly now, but not completely healed. Some of her problems, it would seem, are simply age related.

Almost three years ago, I bought Della--used--on ebay. She's been a workhorse, and I'm wondering if it's time to just put her out of her misery.

In the last year she's had lid hinges replaced, and has burned out two batteries. Early in our relationship, she burned out a wireless card. She was so relieved when I reduced my time on MySpace, because its many videos and add-ons made her sweat. Yeah, Della gets hot flashes.

Before she came to live with me, evidently a former owner thought she had a touch screen, because a couple of big fingerprints permanently mark the center of her screen. In one of her surgeries this past year, a key popped off and hasn't been replaced. Fortunately, she's reached the point of not worrying about trying to look perfect.

I'm just not sure what to do. Della and I have spent thousands of hours together, and it isn't her fault she's falling apart. If I replace her, it will be with one of her younger sisters. I suppose if I do that, I could call the new one Della, too. But it wouldn't be the same, would it?

Magdalena

3 comments:

  1. I think the problem comes because you name these things surrounding you and then you start thinking in terms of relationship. The farmer can't call the cow "Louis" or the Pig "Fred" because then the farmer feels bad about taking them to the slaughter house. The farmer can only name them "Hamburger" and "Bacon."

    The computer has done its job, but it is time to set it out to pasture.

    Take a picture of it, if you have to, so you can savor the memories, but it has done all it can do. Its quality of life doesn't exist any more. You must do the humane...er...computerane thing and call in Dr. Keverkion of I.T.

    I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you. I could probably work up a memorial service if you needed one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would it surprise you to learn that I already have pictures of Della? Maybe I should post those on Facebook.

    I'll get back to you on the memorial service, Jennifer. I suppose we could do closed-lid. What a comfort to me that you offered.

    Just to clarify... You're suggesting I not name a possible successor "Della2" or even "Dellete?"

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Thanks for the chuckle. Today I need it.

    ReplyDelete