Saturday, July 11, 2009

Project Gutenberg

A friend of mine recently bought an IPAQ, and Friday afternoon I went over to help her set it up. In order not to completely embarrass myself, I'll skip the part of the story where I messed up, and the part where my tech guru/son bailed me out. I'll skip those parts of the story, and not tell you how many hours were involved--and just get to the fun part in which she now has an IPAQ that functions!

Earlier in the week I had emailed links to her for Fictionwise and Mobipocket where she has access to thousands of current titles, including New York Times bestsellers. But it wasn't until we were ready to leave her house yesterday that I remembered Project Gutenberg. It is such an amazing site, and all the books (whose copyrights have expired) are free. So many wonderful classics are there. Some are even available as audiobooks.

A few weeks ago I downloaded James Hilton's Lost Horizon. It's just a text file instead of an actual ebook format, but I've peeked, and it's quite legible. Waiting for a dreary, rainy day, but I'm very much looking forward to re-reading.

It's interesting to read what's "hot" at Project Gutenberg. For example, on Thursday there were 350 downloads of Manners, Customs, and Dress During the Middle Ages and During the Renaissance Period, by P.L. Jacob.

The Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation accepts donations of money and time to further the work. I think I've been remiss in telling you about this before. I'm so glad it finally occurred to me... Now I need to see which P.G. Wodehouse title I want first.

Magdalena

2 comments:

  1. Mags, you've made reference in the past to me being techy. Which makes me laugh. You're the techy one around here. Until just now, I had no idea what an IPAQ does or even was. Thanks for the link to the Gutenberg Library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you call me the techy one, that will make my son laugh! And my friend from yesterday, who had incredible patience with me.

    :)

    I thought of you, Devon, when I listed the _Manners, Customs, and Dress During the Middle Ages and During the Renaissance Period_. I wonder if the site will have any reference books you would enjoy for your historical novels.

    When I was a senior in high school, our National Honor Society project was audiotaping books for the blind. I loved doing that, and if I get ambitious, I'd like to help make audiobooks for Project Gutenberg to distribute.

    ReplyDelete