Friday, August 21, 2009

Come and Find the Quiet Center

I'm amazed to discover it's Friday already. Here's a wrap-up from me (and Avatar me) for this week:

The Progeny performed a pipe organ concert Sunday afternoon. Not sure which of us was more nervous--okay, yes I am, but it didn't matter if my hands shook! He did a wonderful job, and the audience gave him a standing ovation. Wow. There was a special treat at the beginning of the concert, as he had decided a few hours prior that he would sing a couple of verses of his first song, then play it on the organ. With a wonderful accompanist, he sang Come and Find the Quiet Center, which set the tone for the concert.

As you can imagine, that was the high point of my week.

My terrific Blogging Buddy and Commenter Extraordinaire Jennifer Johnson wrote a wonderful recommendation for Where Her Heart Is on her blog yesterday. The things she said about it were so interesting, I want to read the book! My book. Yeah, I've read it already. Right...

Meanwhile, Jennifer's new book is one of the romances that's moving up the sales rank at Fictionwise. And I haven't read The Clergy Affair yet! Darn! Other people are beating me to it!

I'm enjoying my temporary part-time job, and am thankful for it. I'm also thankful that it's temporary and part-time because I don't have it in me to do that job full-time. I also have a little business I do at home, plus the writing I always intend to accomplish, and semi-optional stuff like doing laundry and cooking meals. The living room project stalled a while ago, I haven't made much progress on my dad's house, and tomorrow morning we take The Progeny back to his beloved college campus. Thursday morning in the shower my brain was full of new story ideas. Thank you, Ms. Muse!

My point? Although my life is pretty quiet compared to most people's, sometimes I feel overwhelmed. Which is part of the reason I've been humming this song all week...

Come and Find the Quiet Center; Words by Shirley Erena Murray, 1989. (vs. 1)

Come and find the quiet center in the crowded life we lead,
find the room for hope to enter, find the frame where we are freed:
Clear the chaos and the clutter, clear our eyes, that we can see
all the things that really matter, be at peace, and simply be.


Happy Friday!

Magdalena

7 comments:

  1. Hey Mags, thanks for the plug. Today I take my 6 year old daughter to her first piano lesson. She has been wanting to take piano for about a year, so started looking for a teacher. Harder to find one than I thought. As I talked to the teacher, she wants to meet my daughter and evaluate her to decide if she is ready for lessons. When my daughter overheard me say that, she immediately started to "practice" as she really wants to be ready. We shall see. I'm going to google the song so I can hear what it sounds like. What a gift you have in the Progeny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that she wants to take piano lessons! It is difficult to find a teacher these days. Do you play?

    I hope you can find a good rendition of the song to listen to. It's so pretty and mellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very glad the concert went well. My mother had a degree in pipe organ, so I grew up loving organ music. It was a crushing blow to realize I had to miss the Progeny's concert; we had made arrangements for great-grandaughter Bailey to visit and spend the night. Do your write down writing ideas in the iPAC when you are out and about and the muse whispers?? I love that tiny keyboard, but have not tried to write on it. Finding the quiet center----I'm lifting prayers for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was difficult to find a teacher, but I kept asking around. I did take lessons as a child and very briefly as an adult (BC - before children). That is a story for another time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Applecrisp, Welcome to Magdalenaville! More power to you if you can use the iPAQ keyboard efficiently. I've done a little with it, but lost patience too quickly. I try to always carry a little notepad for ideas or lists...

    Jennifer, I look forward to reading your piano lesson story. Maybe it's bloggable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope he always makes you just as proud!!

    ReplyDelete