Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hot Chicken Salad

I'm sure you've picked up on the fact that I'm not an extraordinarily good cook. In fact, I almost never try anything fancy, because the people I cook for wouldn't care about it anyway. Yes, I'm a lazy cook. Still, I haven't poisoned anyone yet, as far as I know.

I even had a couple of requests for this recipe the other night when I took it to a pitch-in salad supper, and I thought I'd share it with you, too. (If you're serious about watching calories, fat grams, and important stuff like that, it's okay to stop reading right here.)

The note on my recipe card says I got it in 1994 at a church women's meeting in a neighboring city.

Hot Chicken Salad

3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
1-1/2 c. celery, chopped
3/4 c. slivered almonds
1 6-oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. onion
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1-1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 11-oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
3/4 c. grated cheese

Combine everything but cheese and chips in a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve over chow mein noodles.

(Note: The original recipe has 1-1/2 c. crushed potato chips, which you combine with the cheese to sprinkle on top. I've never used the chips, because I figure this casserole is hard enough on my cholesterol number without them.)

I have a question. When you take a dish of food to an event, and other people do the same, then everybody eats--what do you call it? We call it a pitch-in, but I'm guessing that's a Southern Indiana term.

Magdalena

11 comments:

  1. The chicken recipe is intriguing, as I LOVE chicken salad, but will prob. leave out the water chestnuts (don't like them although I'm not sure why).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard "potluck." Also around here sometimes it's called "carry-in" but mostly, I think, "pitch-in."

    The great thing about the water chestnuts is the crunch. I don't even think they have a taste, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crunch is what bugs me. They don't look like they should crunch, but they do. It's like having a bug in your snow ice cream (shudder).

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! Okay then. And thanks for that vivid word picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sincerely thanking me or sarcastically thanking me?
    It IS a vivid picture, is it not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer, I was sarcastically thanking you, but yours was truly a word picture work of art. (That was sincere.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope it didn't turn you off to bugs....or snow ice cream...or that I once unknowingly ate a few bugs.

    Did you get the Julia Child book?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, Jennifer, because of your comment, it may be your fault that at a restaurant today I thought I saw a worm on a piece of broccoli. I don't think there really was one, but I didn't want to get my glasses out of my purse, so I just didn't eat the broccoli. Your fault that I didn't get my veggie. :(

    Ha!

    And YES I got the Julia Child book, and am trying to cajole Microsoft Reader into letting me read it on my iPAQ. Had to set it aside last night before I lost my temper. Will try again soon. I have the book on my laptop, but I think I messed up somewhere in the process... Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little worm wouldn't hurt you. And I bet the restaurant didn't even charge you extra.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A little worm wouldn't hurt me, and a little water chestnut wouldn't hurt you.

    BLTs for supper tonight. Anything I need to look out for there?

    ReplyDelete