Friday, September 25, 2009

Something pretty

I don't know about you, but I need a pick-me-up. The weather here in Magdalenaville has been overcast and rainy much of the week.

So let's look at something pretty! At left, dear friends, is a glass garden totem. I saw some displayed at a festival last weekend, and loved them so much I wanted to share with you. The lady at the festival said they are no more fragile than a gazing ball. She said they are wonderful in the flower garden. Imagine how pretty with the light reflecting on different colors of glass! She also said she brings hers in during the winter. She had one on her display table with candy in it. What an elegant candy dish it was!

But of course one doesn't photograph vendors' wares at a festival. So I Googled "glass garden totem" and one of the results was The Undomesticated Wife blog. I wrote to its author, and she graciously agreed to let me use her pictures. This blue and clear one is so cheerful. Please see her other garden totems here.

She also made a lovely bird bath using the technique. Lucky birds, huh?

I'm not particularly crafty, but I certainly have a lot of stuff. However, I think if I piled up several pieces of glassware and stuck them together for all eternity, it would just look like an eternal stack of glassware. These pieces, and the ones I saw last weekend, are lovely works of art.

So... Something pretty to cheer yet another gloomy day. Many thanks to The Undomesticated Wife for her generosity.

Happy Weekend!

Magdalena

5 comments:

  1. Why didn't you buy the totem at the festival?! It is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This picture is from the blog I mentioned. I didn't take photos at the festival.

    I thought of going back to the festival on Sunday and looking again, but it got rained out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you give it a try sometime! It's so easy, inexpensive, and a great way to recycle!

    Thanks for loving my totems! I have a box of glass that I need to go through and come up with another. Problem is...the glue is so strong-smelling, and it's been raining out, so I haven't been able to get outside to glue the pieces together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for letting me post the picture and link to your blog. I hope you'll get some nicer weather so you can make more totems. They are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete