Sunday, September 20, 2009

TBR pressure

One of my co-workers is a reader. Romance, mystery, suspense... and she's a quick reader! The day I learned we were both reading (she in tree-based form, I in Mobipocket) Christina Dodd's Storm of Visions, I knew I was in trouble. I immediately started reading longer than usual every night, because it is not in me to lose. Not that we were racing--she asked if we were racing, and I said, "No. Because if we were racing I would lose, and I hate to lose." So anyway, I finished first.

Christina's is a very intense story. When I finished [first] I wanted something calming. Back to the Microsoft Reader download of My Life in France by Julia Child. I love hearing Julia Child's voice recount this beautiful period in her life. Ahhh... Paris!

AND! Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol became available September 15. Fortunately I messed up my first efforts to download Secure eReader, so even though I had the book, I couldn't read it on IPAQ. I could read it on the laptop, but, you know, I wanted to read it on IPAQ. Not that I'm stubborn or anything.


While I was fiddling with that... taking breaks... fiddling with it... I decided it was a great time to read Jennifer Johnson's The Clergy Affair which I had downloaded on the very day it became available--in Microsoft Reader. Am a little more than halfway through. Right now we're exploring Vancouver. Ahhh... Vancouver!


AND! One evening I actually read the information about the various Secure eReader formats, and downloaded the correct one! Yep, I'd been beating my head against a wall for nothing. Took maybe ten minutes to do it correctly.

So, very soon, I'll be reading Mr. Brown's tome. Really looking forward to it. I like what I've seen of Secure eReader, too. You can choose to auto scroll the pages, for one thing.

I'm slowly working through my To Be Read pile--but a little more quickly than usual. I have my new co-worker, IPAQ, software engineers, and these very talented authors to thank for it.

Happy reading!

Magdalena

5 comments:

  1. Mags, have you been to Vancouver? I have not. I'm interested to know if it's believable to someone who has been there. I do want to go one day since Deborah got to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, no, I haven't been there. I thought surely you had been! I do, however, have a friend who has his own plane.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So romantic! I'd love it if we had our own plane, and Husband could fly me places. We talk about it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flying in a small plane is fun. So your husband is a pilot? That's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He USED to fly. He had his private pilot's license before I even knew him. And he used to jump out of airplanes. And do all kinds of cool stuff before I married him and killed all his fun. But we are planning on going to see David Copperfield so it ain't all bad!!!!

    ReplyDelete