Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happily ever after?

If you read my January 18 post, you may have been wondering how we are doing. The answer is, in spite of everything, we are doing okay. We are determined to do okay.

These days I run into people all the time who have lost a loved one to this brain cancer. It takes the person away from you bit by bit, and you suffer a little differently as he loses each part of his personality or his functionality. Alzheimer's took my mother bit by bit over a period of ten years or so. Glioblastoma is likely to complete its work here in months.

At this point I am still able to care for my husband at home. There are lots of friends willing to come and help, day or night, at a moment's notice. My cell phone contacts have probably doubled in the last few weeks, because of so many offers of help.

Every day we get a card, or an email, or a call, or a visit, from people who care. Friends have shoveled our walks, picked up our groceries, invited us out to dinner. Dozens of people have taken my husband to his radiation treatments, over thirty miles from here. Six weeks of treatments, and except for me, he will likely have a different driver each time.

The community is pulling together and pulling us through this. It's not the happily ever after I would have chosen, but it's the one we have. Somehow, it will be okay.

Magdalena

8 comments:

  1. It's good to hear your voice, and to know that your physical community is holding you close. Thanks for the updates to your cyber community. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magdalena,
    I have been so out of touch recently. I am so so sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine what you are facing, but I pray that the strength of the love that exists between you and your husband and all of your family will be a comfort. Be sure that you take care of yourself throughout all of this... whether that means a pedicure, a hot cup of coffee, a bit of reading/writing, a shopping splurge, or just some quiet time. And know that your KYRW "family" are all thinking of you and praying.

    God bless,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you, Mags. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mags, you are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    The strength of your character is reflected in the love your community has for you and Carl.

    God Bless always,

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear from you. please know you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear that you have so much support helping you and your husband through this.

    My aunt is a 5 yr survivor of stage 4 brain cancer. They were able to remove some but not all then put her through chemo and radiation though they gave her very little hope of living as long as she has. She's still hanging in there.

    You're both in my thoughts and prayers. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete