Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Space

I love space. My current read is The Joy of Less, a Minimalist Living Guide, by Francine Jay. Until reading about her love of space, I had not realized this about myself. I've always been bothered by clutter, but didn't realize until now why I feel so good when I've done some de-cluttering.

So I've been "creating space" in a couple areas of the house. First and easiest, I cleared the mail and other extranea off the kitchen table, leaving only a small centerpiece of paperwhites that have begun to bloom. Not only did that little bit of space make me smile, but my husband noticed and enjoyed it, too. (Kind of a big deal.) Making space in the house will create a more peaceful environment for all of us.

What I've also realized is that my schedule needs more "space." I am not a great juggler, and trying to keep all the balls in the air for a year has taken a toll. In general, when I'm not working on something, I'm thinking about working on something. The latter may be more tiring than the former.

One result is that even when I have time to sit with the laptop, I am too keyed up to settle into working on a story. But. Now I know how great it feels to create physical space, to breathe deeply and gratefully. Now I realize its importance to my well-being. Kind of excited about finding a way to do that in the mental plain.

Magdalena

No comments:

Post a Comment