Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Surprises among the storms

The weather in our area has been mostly rainy, with periods of flooding. I generally enjoy rainy days; as long as severe weather does not occur (which it has) and wind and heavy rain do not interrupt my sleeping (which they have) I am fine.

Even though I have been walking around sleep-deprived quite a bit, there have been some nice surprises among the rain showers.

1) Finally! I was able to lose myself in a full-length novel, for the first time since my husband got sick nearly a year and a half ago. A million thanks to Marcia Willett for creating wonderful characters, a lucious setting and an engaging story that kept me turning pages like the "good old days" of free-time reading! If you are a fan of Rosamunde Pilcher and Maeve Binchy, I think you'll enjoy Marcia Willett. I started with the book pictured here in paperback, but her titles are also available in ebook. Yay!

2) French Press coffee. LOVE IT. Our coffeemaker broke a couple of weeks ago and I purchased a French Press. Yes, it takes a little more effort to make coffee this way, but--to me--the amazing results are worth it. Ours is a Bodum, and you can see their page here. I love that it is filter-free, thereby reducing my paper consumption a little more.

3) Inner Simplicity. I finally purchased the book, after wanting it for a long time. I am a huge fan of Elaine St. James' Simplify Your Life. This is another step on the journey for me. I'm reading a two-page chapter each day

I've been spending a good deal of time in quiet contemplation (occasionally interrupted by thunder, lightning, high winds). Our slide off the plateau is still gradual, allowing time to become accustomed to each new level. And time to peer, through rain-streaked glass, at what may lie ahead. It isn't quite as scary anymore.

Magdalena

2 comments:

  1. Yes, minus the severe weather, a rainy day every once in a while is a great way to spend an afternoon. Glad you've been able to enjoy a little time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, Cherie--nothing like an occasional rainy day, Emphasis on OCCASIONAL. :)

    ReplyDelete