Friday, June 10, 2011

Books and Germs

So, my current read is The Secret: The Power, by Rhonda Byrne. It's a library book, but if you want to check it out at Amazon, they have both print and Kindle versions available. There are loads of reasons this is the right book for me to be reading right now, but the main one is that I am learning to think more positively. Some other recent reads have been nudging me in that direction, and this one is moving me even more toward becoming a "glass half full" kind of gal.

That came in very handy this week, when we learned my husband has a staph infection. It is in his elbow, which is kinda weird. The elbow looks weird, too, and the goop the doctor drained out of it--well, I enjoy looking at a syringe of pus as much as the next girl, but...um.... Anyway, we had to go to the hospital a couple of days for shots of antibiotic, he's been taking antibiotic tablets, and yesterday we were back at the hospital. This was for a full-body scan, because the doctor was afraid the staph might have spread throughout his bones. A very scary possibility!

My husband always had a sunny personality, and now that he doesn't remember his brain tumor, or understand what might be in his future, he is sunnier than ever. Yesterday we sang and laughed and he charmed everyone he met at the hospital.

While he was having the scan, I got to the chapter in this book about the placebo effect, and how much good we do our health just by telling ourselves/believing that our health is good. A year and a half after his brain tumor diagnosis, he is a walking-talking-singing example of this. So I spent yesterday and this morning, after a good night's sleep, telling myself that his full body scan was clear. (The "old" me would have been up half the night, sick with worry...)

I'll bet you can guess what the doctor said when he called.


Happy Friday!


Magdalena

2 comments:

  1. That's wonderful, Mags! God bless both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sure does, and we try to keep that in mind. Thanks, Devon!

    ReplyDelete