Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Genevieve


This evening I learned that a friend of mine had died. She got me through lots of dark days and nights, confusion and uncertainty. She did the same for countless other women, too.

Widow to Widow was written by Genevieve Davis Ginsburg, MS, a woman I never met except in the pages of a book that changed my life. In preparing to write a short post about the book, I discovered the reason she doesn't have an Amazon page, and she isn't tweeting or popping up on facebook with cute pictures of her pets like so many authors I know (including myself).

According to this brief mention about The Women's Plaza of Honor at the University of Arizona, she died in 1996. When I saw that, I was stunned. After all, she was just "talking to me" through the pages of the book a couple of months ago. I sat here with the laptop and cried for the first time in a while. (Widows cry at unexpected times. This is normal. I read that in Genevieve's book.)

I'll continue to give copies of the book to recent widows I know. There's a copy in our local library now, too. If someone in your life has recently lost a spouse, I would recommend you consider this as a gift.

I wish I could have said thank you to Genevieve. But when she died (1996) I had no inkling I would ever need to read a "widow book." How grateful I am that she knew it!

Shedding tears is okay, even when it's unexpected. Each of us grieves in our own way, and at our own rate of speed. My friend Genevieve told me so.

Mags

No comments:

Post a Comment