Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Making peace with the past


The Progeny and I recently had the unique opportunity of touring our own home. The home where I was a wife for 30 years, the home where my son grew up, and his dad before him. Due to my husband's illness, the house sold at auction last summer.

The interior renovations are complete, and the new owners very kindly let us do a self-guided tour. They encouraged us to take our time at it. What a gift! We were surprised at how much had not been changed, and enjoyed seeing the many creative improvements. The 150+ year old house had lots of character, and lots of potential. Now its potential has been realized. The house is changed, but in a good way. The Progeny and I have undergone changes too, because of my husband's illness and death. We've come out on the other side, as stronger and better people.

Also this weekend I started working on a bigger, better version of Midnight in Legend, TN. It's fun to spend time again with Midnight Shelby and Martin McClain. They're some of my favorite characters, and have "walk-on parts" in most of my Legend stories. Still, Midnight and Martin's love story deserves more. I hope that my writing has evolved, and that their story will be stronger and better when I've finished it this time.

There's no way to go forward without making peace with the past, right?

Mags



2 comments:

  1. This is good progress you are making. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mags, I couldn't write about divorce because I was too bitter. I finally tackled it this year with Kentucky Rain. It's been over 20 years. I was finally ready.

    ReplyDelete