Monday, December 30, 2013

New Year...new me?


I had a lovely Christmas season, frantic as it was part of the time. I wouldn't change a thing, except to be more organized for the meal I served at noon(ish) on Christmas Day. Because I wasn't ready ahead of time, I had to skip a champagne brunch. Drat. Next year, I'll try to be more prepared. I had to talk myself through this, because when I was running around trying to get food ready and furniture moved for my eight guests, the thought occurred to me that next Christmas we could just meet at the Chinese place instead.

But I loved having everyone in my little apartment! It was cozy and fun--so much better than meeting at a restaurant. I loved making lasagna, which takes a while, but is infinitely worth it. They overall key was preparation, and I was just a smidge behind on that, which made me nervous.

I try to prepare myself for each day, too. Before getting out of bed, I make a list of five things I'm grateful for. Sometimes my list is silent, and sometimes I say it out loud to share it with Spot and Attila. So far they don't share theirs with me, though. I've decided that I need to make a list at night too. Kind of a wrap-up of the day, so I am certain not to hit the pillow with negative thoughts on my mind. That is part of my New Year's resolution.

Today I bought a book that I hope will help in my path to be the best person I can be. I still read Simple Abundance by Sarah ban Breathnach almost every day, and beginning January 1, I'll be adding A Year with Thomas Merton: Daily Meditations from His Journals

Besides starting and ending each day with gratitude, my resolution is to spend each day doing the best I can with what I have. That was my mantra when my husband was ill, and I'm reclaiming it.

Hoping the best for all of us in 2014...

Happy New Year!
Magdalena




2 comments:

  1. Christmas dinner was wonderful; we would have been happy with peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches. It was the kindness and getting together that counted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CIndy, I was so glad we could all be together. I love that group that got us through so many dark days. It's nice to share happy times, too! ...and lasagna, or peanut butter and jelly... :)

      Delete