Monday, March 24, 2014

Thirsty

I have been thirsty for color lately. I guess it's because winter was longer and more wintry than usual. The other day I bought this darling, chunky little blank book and fun green metal basket, just because I needed to look at more color. Kind of a desperate attempt, but also darn cheap, as well as useful, and it has made me feel a bit better. (For those of you who wanted more pictures of my countertop, here ya go.)

The decor of my apartment (The Jewel Box) is mostly white, with hardwood floor and two large pieces of polished wood furniture. Minimal and clutter-free, except for cat toys all over the floor. I love it this way, and after almost two years, it's still like stepping into a cloud each time I come home. I have no intention of putting up lots of pictures, or adding bright cheerful throw rugs, or--gasp--painting over the white.

Still, I don't remember ever yearning for color as I have in recent weeks. I walk past a clothing shop each day, and let my eyes drink in the glorious bright shades of spring found in handbags, shoes, and clothing.

I've also shifted reading material. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher is on the bedside table. Reading that first page was like rich hot chocolate after a long walk in a snowstorm, so delicious is Ms Pilcher's prose. Next in line will be a Marcia Willett novel. I don't know that I'll ever be as good at the craft as either of these women, but it's a goal.

Second Chances is still coming along, and I got some good feedback on the Other Project that will improve it considerably. It will involve reworking the beginning and tying up a loose end. (Oops!) I'm glad the story will be stronger and better for it.

I'm exercising nearly every day, which is good for many reasons. Each time I climb the first steep hill, I feel more alive than I have all day until then.

As I write this, there is sunshine. Three of us cooked a delicious lunch together and sat around the table talking for a long time afterward. I had supper with another dear friend the other night.

My thirst for color hasn't been just a visual longing, I guess. Maybe my soul has been a little thirsty lately. We are enjoying our nice, refreshing drink of rejuvenation.

I guess it is Spring after all.

Mags

2 comments: