Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A very good start on "Happily Ever After"


The Progeny and Progenette had a beautiful wedding. I have now graduated from MOG (Mother of the Groom) to that other thing, the dreaded title of Mother-in-Law. Someone actually had to remind me of this change in my title, and I must admit to being a little deflated. I've loved being MOG, because I was able to participate in whatever ways the kids asked me to participate in wedding prep, and do little fun things here and there to help out. I think that, if I had been the MOB (Mother of the Bride), you'd have been scraping me up off the floor a while ago. I am prone to meltdowns.

But back to the point--the wedding was amazing. I counseled The Progeny and Progenette a couple of weeks ago that, no matter how much planning they did, the wedding would not be perfect. But that's okay, I continued, because the little imperfections will make it just that much more memorable.

There were some "loose cannon" moments at rehearsal, due to a very energetic ring bearer, and the Mothers who were instructed on how to walk in, light a single candle each, and sit down. We Mothers had fun, but didn't always follow instruction to the letter. (The minister told me later that's the way Mothers are in weddings; you never know what to expect. I love that!)

But on The Day, we Mothers did our job and sat down. The ring bearer was cute as a button, holding hands with the sweet flower girl who took her job very seriously. The groomsmen and bridesmaids, decked out in their finery, looked like a million bucks. All this was underpinned by the string quartet's Canon in D.

The Bride and Groom--sigh--were transformed by the magic of the day into a prince and princess, only better. Because not only are they beautiful to look at, they are strong and beautiful people inside.

My cautions to them notwithstanding, the wedding was truly perfect. And infinitely memorable.

I'm so very thankful to have them both in my life, and along with many, many people, I wish them a "Happily Ever After."

Magdalena

2 comments: