Monday, January 5, 2015

Listen. Somebody is trying to tell you something--and it's You!

I received a copy of Marie Kondo's book, the life-changing magic of tidying up, for Christmas. Silly me to have thought I knew all there is about decluttering! This little book is a very interesting read.

The first major insight for me: Before starting the decluttering process, visualize your ideal life/living space. Once you have achieved it, you'll never again live in clutter. This helps explain the psychology of why I cannot stand for my apartment to get messy. Before moving here, I visualized it, made a floor plan, etc. It also helps explain why my giant walk-in closet still isn't under control. I have some serious visualization to do there!

One thing the author stresses is that one must hold each item and see what reaction it evokes. This is how one chooses whether or not to keep an item. As an example, sliding hangers along the rod isn't good enough. Take all the clothes off the hangers and pick up one at a time. Does it evoke joy? If so, keep it. If not, out it goes. I know from experience that this works, because I lived it during our major downsize in 2012.

My minimalist lifestyle enables me to do what I love: Write.

~*~

Saturday we spent some time in the metro Louisville area, and ate at a fast food place that doesn't exist in our little town. I seldom eat fast food, but when it was suggested, this sounded like fun.

I was sick all day Sunday.

Coincidence? Maybe. I wish I knew what my body's reaction was the last time I ate there. I remember being sick all day a couple of months ago, but don't recall what I had eaten the day before.

Bye-bye, formerly fun fast food shop.

I've also had a recent parting of the ways with my daily-ish glass of red wine. I started the habit several years ago upon reading that a glass of red wine is good for my health. Well, turns out that isn't working for me anymore. Now red wine makes my face and neck red and itchy. No thanks--I will eat grapes and pop the occasional dark chocolate.

Just wanted to share this reminder, in case it might be helpful to you. We're all so busy, sometimes we forget to listen, and most of the time it's very worthwhile.

Have you had any experiences like these?

Magdalena

No comments:

Post a Comment