Monday, February 23, 2015

Public Library: Muse and Cabin Fever Cures, Minimalist-Style


Winter has settled rather decisively into Magdalenaville, and at times the last week or so, life has been a bit of a challenge.

I want to start by saying that Attila and I are very fortunate to have had heat, and plenty to eat and drink. We had stocked up on necessities before the first wave of recent weather hit, and our area of the world has certainly not been hammered compared to, say, people who are measuring their snow in feet instead of inches.

So in our little studio apartment, we have been very comfortable.

However, sometimes it is a bit too much togetherness, and we get just a teensy bit on each other's last surviving nerve. That's where the library has made such a difference. The photo above is my "office away from home"--one of the tables in the fiction section. If you click on the picture you might recognize the names of several of your favorite authors.

One day when I was there, I picked up the first book in a trilogy by Nora Roberts. That night while reading the paperback that had obviously been enjoyed by many before me, I was re-energized about my work. Ms Roberts's book doesn't have the same story line, or setting, or similar characters, but still, becoming involved in the fictional world she created has been a fabulous tonic for me.

The library also has DVDs, and I've checked out several lately. Right now I have Season One of Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove. I have watched the first season of Downton Abbey, and am waiting for someone to return Season Two--I have it on reserve.

You see, I don't watch TV, so am just now seeing these series for the first time. It's okay with me to be out of step, and actually it's kind of wonderful to be able to watch a season and then go right into the next (theoretically, unless someone has it checked out). Waiting is no big deal, and it will be a fun surprise when someone at the library calls to let me know it's in and ready for me.

Since all my watching occurs via DVDs or a video streaming service, and since I watch an average of four (4) hours a week, I am considering getting rid of my TV, and just using the laptop. This had been the plan in 2012 when I moved, yet I ended up keeping a TV. But Attila doesn't watch at all, and only participates by draping himself over my leg, or giving me a condescending look. (I know, you wish you had this kind of relationship with your pet.) When I have company, it's for a meal and/or visiting, and not to watch TV. This might be the answer to a recent storage conundrum. Getting rid of the TV would give me a little more storage space with the furniture I already have.

Since downsizing, any new purchase is examined very carefully. It's amazing what you don't buy once you think about it as much as I do. (I think I actually enjoy not buying more than I ever enjoyed making purchases.)

Okay, I'm going back to work on my current story. The sun is streaming in our windows and Attila is asleep on my bed. It's a good day to be a minimalist sweetromance writer...especially one who lives within walking distance of a wonderful public library.

Magdalena

No comments:

Post a Comment