Monday, April 13, 2015

Welcoming Spring, Celebrating Earth Day Every Day, and Sharing an Update from Serendipity

This afternoon in the Jewel Box (my studio apartment), we were invaded by the first wasp of the season. Attila is highly entertained by bugs, and as an indoor kitty, seldom has the opportunity to interact with them. Ignorance isn't always bliss...I barely kept him from eating a bumblebee last year! I wonder what the result of that would have been. Don't tell Attila, but I hope the wasp will figure out how to go back outside.

A couple of days ago I made the first sweet tea of the season. I drank a lot of hot tea this winter, but reserve iced tea for hotter weather. It's a simple pleasure. (Note: Attila does not get tea, or any form of caffeine. Yikes.)

We've had a window open and the screen popped in several times. (Which of course is why we now have a wasp.) Now that it's getting so warm outside, the insulation board panels I made in January to keep us cozy are being used in reverse. Instead of inviting the warmth of the sun in as I did during the cold weather, I'm trying to block the hot rays. So the insulation board panels are in the east windows in the morning, etc. We still get to enjoy our view, but not all of it at once.

It might sound complicated, or like a pain, but I enjoyed keeping my electric bill down this winter, and I'm not in a hurry to install the window air conditioner. So far Mother Nature and I are coexisting well, but we haven't had high temperatures yet. I wish I could completely do without the noisy polluting air conditioner, but doubt I'm tough enough for that. I'm basically a weather wimp.

Earth Day is April 22, and I'd like to think I do a decent job of taking care of the earth throughout the year. Not great or outstanding, but decent. I'll admit my vehicle is an SUV, but I've had it for 9 years and put few miles on it.
  • I have Reduced my need for goods and services by simply downsizing my living space, and buying less.
  • I Re-purpose and Re-use. A lot. (And if I can, it's not that tough.)
  • I Recycle. In fact, my giant recycling bin is a re-purposed cardboard box that my air conditioner came in. I had fun making it fit into the decor of the Jewel Box, and I think it's pretty cute.
  • Another "R" that is sometimes left out is Repair. How easy it is to toss something instead of fixing it. Sometimes repair isn't an option, especially when manufacturers build things to be thrown away. But it's always worthwhile to try, right?

News from Serendipity, Indiana:

  • First edits for Emily's Dreams will probably arrive sometime this week. 
  • I'm halfway through writing Christmas Wedding, which will release this fall. 
  • I've updated (in my head) what the seventh book in the Serendipity, Indiana series will be like. More about that later.

Other projects: Yes, there are some, and I'm excited about them. But I can't talk about them yet. Aaack! Maybe soon, though, or at least sometime this summer.

This post is what my mother would have called a mish-mosh. I hope it doesn't give you a headache. It's kind of like looking inside my brain--all mish-mosh, all the time.

What does your piece of the world look like?

Magdalena

~*~

Please look for my romance novels and novellas at your favorite online seller:


Amazon (U.S.)    ~  Amazon (U.K.)

   Barnes & Noble  ~   ibooks   ~   Kobo

No comments:

Post a Comment