Wednesday, November 23, 2016

How is your Thanksgiving list?



Have you made your list? No, not the Christmas list. I'm talking about the Thanksgiving list--and not just for those of us who live in one of the countries where we have an official holiday for it.

Giving. Thanks. That's what I'm talking about.

(No, my fellow Americans, Thanksgiving wasn't created as the calorie-intake preparation for Black Friday shopping. I know you saw that on facebook, but it's not the case. Here's a wikipedia page if you're interested in learning more.)

Call me crazy if you must, but to me, the Thanksgiving list is way more important than the one many of us are stressing over, for next month. It should also be easier, and--get this--it's free!

It seems that the speed of life accelerates this time of year. I'm already feeling it, having been to a glorious music concert and a gathering of friends around a mountain of delicious food. The calendar is getting jammed, which, for an introvert like me, is another cause of stress.

It's easy to get carried along with the holiday hoopla. Who needs more hoopla, after the way 2016 has been going? Not me.

Love, yes. Peace, absolutely. And consideration for others--I'll have some of that, too, please.

Let's take a breath, and give our minds, bodies, and emotions a break.

Take a sheet of paper, or if necessary, an electronic device, and make a list. Can you think of five things you're grateful for?

This is a great exercise that you might want to do again tomorrow. I try to make a mental list of at least five things each morning before getting up, and again (different items) at the end of the day. I began this practice when my life was the hardest it's ever been. It truly does help my outlook. I hope it will help yours, too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Magdalena

No comments:

Post a Comment